COLLEGIALE DE BÉDOUES - BEDOUES-COCURES

COLLEGIALE DE BÉDOUES

48400 BEDOUES-COCURES

COLLEGIALE DE BÉDOUES
44.3433746 3.60629848

The Notre Dame de Bédouès collegiate church marks the entrance to the upper valley of the Tarn. Pope Urban V had it erected to house the remains of the Grimoard family in 1363. Built in schist, originally in the form of a Latin cross, it will be transformed into a real castle surrounded by high walls. During the wars of religion, in 1580, Captain Merle, Protestant leader, and his troop attack the sanctuary. No neighborhood, the canons and soldiers are massacred, the building is looted and ruined. Forty years after the passage of Merle, the sanctuary is restored. Fortifications are once again ravaged by the revolution. In 1793, the church is stripped of its ornaments. It was extremely reworked in the nineteenth century.

Reception

Natural regions : Mont Lozere

Reservation

Information Min. Rate Max. Rate Complement

Information updated on 18/01/21 / Report an error on this offer !