LA CHAPELLE SAINT-SATURNIN - BEDOUES-COCURES

Chapel

LA CHAPELLE SAINT-SATURNIN

Le village Bédouès

-

48400 BEDOUES-COCURES

LA CHAPELLE SAINT-SATURNIN
44.3405538 3.60433837

More discreet, in the center of the village of Bédouès, the chapel Saint-Saturnin, of Romanesque origin, is interesting for the extraordinary painted decoration that it contains. Built in the 12th century, it is the parish church of the village. Severely damaged in 1581 by the troops of the Protestant Captain Mathieu Merle, it will recover after restoration its use of parish church. At the beginning of the 19th century, the cult was moved to the collegiate church. In 1810, it was ceded to the family of the Marquis Cabot de la Fare as a funerary chapel. The marquis will make, between 1838 and 1841, murals, by an Italian painter mastering all the techniques of the fresco of the fifteenth. (The chapel is open all year every day.) Water infiltration in some places degrades its remarkable murals, and stained glass windows are damaged. the Heritage Foundation, the town of Bédouès-Cocurès and the association Les Compagnons de la Tour are launching a crowdfunding campaign.

Reception

Opening period :

From01012020to31122020

Natural regions : CevennesMont Lozere

Reservation

Civilian building style :

  • Romanesque
Information Min. Rate Max. Rate Complement

Information updated on 13/08/20 / Report an error on this offer !