SAINT PIERRE CASTLE - SAINT-GERMAIN-DE-CALBERTE
SAINT PIERRE CASTLE
The Saint-Pierre castle, or Calberte castle, is located in Saint-Germain-de-Calberte in the heart of the Cévennes of Lozère. Perched at an altitude of 410 metres on a rocky outcrop, it overlooks the Gardon and makes it difficult to capture.
First mentioned in 1092, the "castrum de Calberte" was abandoned at the end of the 14th century. It consists of a rectangular dwelling adjoining a square keep, a chapel, a round tower and five outbuildings, surrounded by a deserted medieval village.
Since the 1960s, it has been given a new lease of life by a family of enthusiasts who have restored much of it. It has been the subject of archaeological excavation campaigns and remains a real milestone in medieval history.
OFFICE DE TOURISME CEVENNES GORGES DU TARN - ANTENNE DE SAINT-GERMAIN-DE-CALBERTE